Registering for Classes

New Student Experience for Freshmen

Registration for new freshmen takes place on the UW-Platteville campus during summer New Student Registration days. The day includes events for parents too. In recognizing that the usual procedure of placing a new student into a hectic fall registration can be unsettling and a bit bewildering, freshmen at UW-Platteville are offered a slower-paced summer registration.

Everyone at UW-Platteville wants students to be successful. For this very basic reason, a special registration program has been established for students and their parents. Each registration session is specifically designed to provide students with a solid foundation concerning their needs and those of their parents. The more students know, the better chance of success they will have in making a smooth transition from their current setting to student life at UW-Platteville. It is important that students and their parents take full advantage of these registration events.

Incoming freshmen are strongly encouraged to take part in the new student orientations that take place just before the beginning of classes. These special activities provide all new students with an opportunity to become acquainted with and to feel part of UW-Platteville’s campus and the local community. The activities are both social and informative. They include tours of the campus, assistance with class scheduling and picking up textbooks, visits with college deans and faculty, small group discussions and at least one all-student social event that brings together newcomers and returning students.

Registration for Continuing and Transfer Students

Continuing and transfer students should check with the Registrar’s Office or review the information at

Each student must meet with an assigned academic advisor before registering. Students may also wish to visit the department chair of their major to see what general education, major or minor requirements they have left to meet. Academic Requirement reports are available to students and advisors before advance registration begins. Students must meet with an advisor to review their requirements and discuss their desired course schedule. The advisor will then provide the student with a personal identification number to release the advising hold.

Students are assigned an advance registration appointment based upon the number of credits earned: those with the most credits earned (seniors) register first, followed by juniors, sophomores and freshmen. Courses fill on a first-come basis; therefore, students are encouraged to take advantage of advance registration.

Students who have been identified as veterans through the Wright Center for Non-Traditional and Veteran Students will receive an earlier registration appointment in compliance with state and federal regulations.  Please see the detailed advanced registration schedule at:

Students who miss advance registration may still register during regular or late registration. Dates for these registration periods are also listed on the academic calendar (

Academic Advising

All transfer students should meet with their major advisor as soon as possible. Students who have an earned associate degree from another two-year institution or junior college will be individually assessed regarding transfer credits. Transfer students should remember that even when the university general education requirements are considered met, other college or departmental requirements may not have been met. During registration and advising, the college of the student’s major will assign a faculty member to serve as the student’s advisor. The advisor will have a copy of both the transcript and credit evaluation and will be a resource person for students to plan the courses they will need in order to graduate. In addition, the student will have access to an online UW-Platteville catalog during the registration and advising process; it is an excellent source of information. Students should take the responsibility for building their own plan for graduation. Successful students work closely with their advisor throughout their college careers. Advance registration for continuing students takes place in the semester prior to enrollment and regular registration takes place immediately proceeding the first week of classes each semester. Details will be sent to students. Students admitted after advance registration must contact the Office of Admission for registration options and details.

Registration Policies

Transfer students may register with continuing students only if they have been admitted, the evaluation of previous coursework has been completed before the pre-registration date and the enrollment deposit has been paid. Therefore, early application is necessary for pre-registration.

Course Numbering

Students should look at a course’s number to determine the general difficulty level of the course and whether it will count towards their degree:

0000-0990 No credit toward graduation
1000-2990 Credit - lower level undergraduate
3000-4990 Credit - upper level undergraduate
5000-7990 Graduate level

Academic Load

During the fall and spring semesters, students who enroll for 12 or more credits during a semester are classified as full-time students; students who enroll for 11 or fewer credits are classified as part-time students. The normal load for full-time students is 15-16 credits per semester, but students on academic probation may carry no more than 14 credits without special permission. To remain eligible for most scholarships and financial aid programs, students must remain classified as full-time.

Students who have not completed remedial course requirements after earning 30 semester hours will be limited to 12 credits including the remedial course. Students in good standing, except those with less than a 2.00 G.P.A., who wish to enroll for an overload of more than 18 credits or students on academic probation who wish to enroll for more than 14 credits must obtain permission from their advisor. A student carrying credit in extension or by correspondence, either with this or another university, must include these credits in computing total load. The registrar, as an ex-officio member of the Admission and Academic Appeals Committee, has been delegated the responsibility for granting permission for overloads and exceptions to established guidelines. Appeals may be made to the committee or the Assistant Provost.

In granting permission for overloads, the committee normally follows these guidelines.

Cumulative G.P.A. Credits
Remedial not met after 1st year 12
Less than 2.00 (on academic probation) 14
Less than 2.00 (in good standing) 15
2.00-2.74 18
2.75-3.24 19
3.25-3.49 20
3.50-3.74 21
3.75-4.00 22

No credit will be given for unapproved overloads.

Students who enroll for an overload without the permission of the registrar will be required to drop sufficient courses and/or credits to comply with the prescribed load limit. If a student refuses to drop courses as prescribed, the registrar and the assistant vice chancellor for academic affairs will select the courses to be removed from the record.

Registration Fee

Students are charged a $35 registration fee per term.  

Associate Degree Assessment Fee

Students who are seeking an associate degree will be charged a $50.00 fee at the time a graduation application (also known as intent to graduate) form is filed.

Senior Assessment Fee

This one-time $50.00 fee for students seeking a bachelor degree is automatically billed in the semester after a student has earned 90 credits and is not associated with the completion of a degree.

Special Course Fees

A course may have special course fees.  Please refer to the class schedule to view any special course fees.  To learn how to locate a fee in the schedule, visit the KnowledgeBase.

Taking Courses Pass-Fail

Students who desire to take courses on a pass-fail basis must apply at a time and place specified by the registrar at the beginning of each semester. Courses taken on a pass-fail basis cannot be used to fulfill general requirements or major requirements (except for courses only offered as pass-fail). Students may enroll for only one course per semester on pass-standards.

Course Changes

All course changes must be cleared officially with the registrar; otherwise, grades of “F” will be recorded. Normally students are not permitted to add courses after the fifth day of classes of any term.

Repeat Courses

Students are allowed two attempts for a course. The grade earned in the second attempt (first repeat) will replace the first grade in the grade point average. If the first grade was a passing grade and the second grade is a failing grade, the failing grade is counted and credit earned is removed.

If a student wishes to enroll in a course three or more times, a petition for the repeat must be completed and approval granted by the college dean’s office. Grades earned beyond the second attempt do not replace prior grades in the grade point average. In most cases, a student requesting a third attempt (or greater) may not register until after priority registration ends.If a course is repeated at another institution, the grade is not counted in the grade point average and does not replace grades earned at UW-Platteville.

Auditing Courses

A grade of satisfactory must be earned in any course audited in order to have such audit appear on the student’s transcript. If the grade is unsatisfactory, the audited course shall not appear on the transcript. Audit forms must be filed at the Registrar’s Office during the first week of classes.

Adding Courses

Students may add courses using PASS through the 5th day of the semester. Courses may be added during the 6th – 10th day with approval of the instructor and department chairperson. Late adds after the 10th day will also require approval of the college dean’s office. Students who add courses after the 10th day will be charged a late add fee of $45 per course.

Per UWS Chapter 18.11(6b), persons present in any class, lecture, laboratory, orientation, examination, or other instructional session shall be enrolled and in good standing or shall have the consent of an authorized university official or faculty member to be considered legally present.

Dropping Courses

Dropping During Add/Drop Period

Students may drop a course prior to its beginning or during the drop/add period (see Academic Calendar) at the start of each semester without the instructor’s signature.  The course will not be recorded on the student's transcript.

Dropping During Withdrawal Period

Students who drop a course after the drop period (e.g. 10th day of the fall or spring semester) will be charged a drop fee of $45 per course. Drop fees will be billed to the student's account.  The course will be recorded on the student's transcript with a notation of withdrawn.  Full-semester length courses may be dropped through the tenth week. 

Dropping After Withdrawal Period (Late Drops)

Students who do not drop a course by the deadlines published on the Academic Calendar must either complete the course satisfactorily or receive the grade “F.” Late drops will be permitted only in extraordinary circumstances and only with the consent of the instructor and the dean of the college. In order to be allowed a late drop, students must provide a written explanation satisfying the instructor and the dean as to the special circumstances which prevented the student from dropping the course prior to deadline.

For courses meeting less than a semester, the deadline to drop with the notation of withdrawn is as follows:

Course Length Drop Deadline
3 weeks (Winterim) Monday, week 2
4 weeks Wednesday, week 3
5 weeks Friday, week 3
6 weeks Wednesday, week 4
8 weeks Friday, week 5
10 weeks Friday, week 6
12 weeks Friday, week 7

Students receiving educational entitlement from the Veterans Administration must report to the VA if they fail or withdraw from all courses after mid-term when enrolled in two or more credit subjects.

Undergraduate Students Enrolled in Graduate Classes

All UW-Platteville undergraduate students are eligible to take graduate courses numbered 5000-6999 for graduate credit if:

  • They have completed at least 60 undergraduate credits
  • They have a university grade point average of 3.0 or higher
  • They have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in all previous graduate coursework, if any
  • They limit their total semester credit load to a maximum of 15 credits including graduate courses (a majority of the credits they take must be for undergraduate courses)
  • They secure the approval of the Dean of the College in which the course is offered.

Undergraduate students shall register for the undergraduate courses through undergraduate registration procedures and for the graduate course through graduate registration procedures.  

Undergraduate fees are charged for the undergraduate classes, and graduate fees are charged for the graduate classes.  Graduate classes do not count toward the undergraduate plateau (12-18 credits) and undergraduate classes do not count toward the graduate plateau (9-12 credits).  A maximum of 6 graduate credits may be transferred back to meet undergraduate degree requirements. 

Note:  Only UW-Platteville graduate credits can be applied toward completion of an undergraduate degree.

Non UW-Platteville undergraduate students may be eligible to take graduate courses numbered 5000-6999 for graduate credit if:

  • They have completed at least 60 undergraduate credits at an accredited institution
  • They have a university grade point average of 3.0 or higher
  • They have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in all previous graduate coursework, if any
  • They secure the approval of the Dean of the College in which the course is offered.

Accelerated Bachelor's to Master's Pathway

Select graduate courses may count toward both your undergraduate degree and your graduate degree at UW-Platteville.  For additional information on the Accelerated Bachelor's to Master's Pathway, including eligibility requirements, please visit

Approved credits will count in both the undergraduate and graduate GPA calculations at UW-Platteville and will be transcripted as described below:

  • Transcripting of Credit (Undergraduate): Upon enrollment in approved course(s) – the course(s) will appear on the undergraduate transcript and calculate into the cumulative credits. 
  • Transcripting of Credit (Graduate): Upon admission to a Graduate Program at UW-Platteville, the approved courses will be processed as internal transfer credit.  The courses(s) will then appear on the graduate transcript and calculate into the cumulative credits.