Students approaching completion of their program should:
- Complete the Application for Graduation when eligible. The application will appear in PASS as a Task after the following:
- 80 earned credits for a bachelor's degree
- 30 earned credits for an associate degree
- To allow processing of the application and inclusion in the commencement program, students must complete the application during the following windows:
Graduation Term Applications Begin Applications End
Fall 2020 September 1, 2019 December 22, 2020
Spring 2021 January 1, 2020 May 21, 2021
Summer 2021 January 1, 2020 August 13, 2021
Fall 2021 September 1, 2020 December 21, 2021
Spring 2022 January 1, 2021 May 20, 2022
Summer 2022 January 1, 2021 August 12, 2022
- Review with major advisor(s), all coursework, credits earned and possible waivers or changes to the degree.
- Inform the Registrar’s Office of any degree changes, substitutions or waivers.
- All requirements including outstanding grades, transcripts, and teacher education requirements must be completed by the following dates following the end of the term:
- December graduation - January 31
- May graduation - June 30
- August graduation - September 30
If degree requirements are not completed by these deadlines graduation will be delayed until the following term.
The official graduation date is the last day of the semester not the date of the commencement ceremony. The diploma will include the degree name as specified on the Application for Graduation. The official degree name will appear on the diploma: Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BS), Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences (BAAS), Associate of Arts and Science (AAS), or Associate of Science (AS). If the graduate earned Magna Cum Laude or Summa Cum Laude honors it will also appear on the diploma. All other components of the degree earned including majors, minors, emphases, or certificates are part of the official academic transcript.
Commencement ceremonies are held as follows:
- Platteville Campus: Twice each year – at the end of the fall and spring semesters.
- Baraboo Sauk County and Richland Campuses: Once per year – at the end of the spring semester.
All coursework (including co-ops, internships and student teaching) must be completed before a degree will be awarded. Attendance at a Commencement ceremony does not imply completion of a degree. Only degree candidates who expect to complete all requirements at the end of the semester may participate in commencement. Candidates for graduation at the end of a summer session must inform the registrar if they wish to attend the May or December Commencement (Platteville Campus only). Although attendance is optional, we strongly encourage all graduates and their families to attend this important ceremony and celebrate the achievements of our new graduates.