Registering for Classes

After corresponding with his or her advisor, graduate students register in their Student Center of PASS (Pioneer Administrative Software System).

Registration Policies

Numbering of Courses

5000-6999: Graduate courses.  Open to undergraduate students who meet the specified criteria.  
7000-7990:  Graduate courses.  Limited to graduate students. 

Courses numbered 7000–7990 are open only to graduate students. Courses numbered 5000–6999 may be taken by graduate students for graduate credit, provided they have not taken the courses at the undergraduate level.

Because courses numbered 5000–6999 are open to both undergraduate and graduate students, students enrolled in the graduate-level portion of a cross-listed course will be exposed to similar content that the undergraduate students will be exposed to, except that: a) graduate students will be learning the content at a greater depth and b) there is an expectation of additional work or higher level activities on the part of the graduate students. 

Academic Load

Graduate students are allowed to register for up to six credits during the summer sessions and up to nine credits during the fall/spring semesters. If a student wants to take more than six credits during summer sessions or more than nine credits during fall/spring semesters, the student must contact his or her advisor for approval. A graduate student who wants to appeal an advisor’s decision should contact the Provost Designee 

Note: If a graduate student does not have an assigned graduate advisor but is attending as a special (non-degree seeking) student, the Provost Designee’s approval replaces the advisor’s approval.

Full-Time Status

For fee purposes, nine credits constitute a full load during the fall and spring semesters and five credits during the summer session. Full-time status for other purposes, such as financial aid, may be defined differently.  

Registration Fee

Students are charged a $35 registration fee per term.  

Degree Assessment Fee

Before the end of the term in which the degree is to be granted, the student must pay the $50 degree assessment fee as well as all outstanding debts to the university.

Course Changes

Normally students are not permitted to add or change courses after the fifth day of classes.

Dropping Courses

Dropping During Add/Drop Period

Students may drop a course prior to its beginning or during the drop/add period (see Academic Calendar) at the start of each semester without the instructor’s signature.  The course will not be recorded on the student's transcript.

Dropping During Withdrawal Period

Students who drop a course after the drop period (e.g. 10th day of the fall or spring semester) will be charged a drop fee of $45 per course. Drop fees will be billed to the student's account.  The course will be recorded on the student's transcript with a notation of withdrawn.  Full-semester length courses may be dropped through the tenth week. 

Dropping After Withdrawal Period (Late Drops)

Students who do not drop a course by the deadlines published on the Academic Calendar must either complete the course satisfactorily or receive the grade “F.” Late drops will be permitted only in extraordinary circumstances and only with the consent of the instructor and the dean of the college. In order to be allowed a late drop, students must provide a written explanation satisfying the instructor and the dean as to the special circumstances which prevented the student from dropping the course prior to deadline.

Independent Study

Students enrolling for independent study should contact their advisor for specific enrollment instructions. A student may register for more than the maximum number of independent study credits allowed by a department; however, the student may only apply the maximum number of independent study credits allowed by a department toward a master’s degree at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.