Financial Aid

Financial Aid
Graduate students admitted to a degree program may qualify for federal loans and work study. To apply for federal aid complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office is here to answer any questions you have about the financial aid process. Please contact us with questions or to make an appointment with a financial aid advisor.

Financial Aid Office
5th Floor Pioneer Tower
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
1 University Plaza
Platteville, WI 53818-3099
Phone: 608.342.1836

NOTE: Special students and international students are not eligible to receive financial aid.


There are two types of federal loans a student may be eligible to borrow.

Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan

This loan is not based on need. However, the student must complete the FAFSA. The student is responsible for the interest accrued while in school. The maximum amount a graduate student is eligible to receive annually is $20,500.

Graduate PLUS Loan

Graduate students may borrow up to their cost of attendance minus other financial aid received. In addition to completing the FAFSA, students will also need to complete a PLUS Loan application form indicating the amount of loan they would like to borrow.   A credit check is required and repayment begins on the last disbursement of the loan. The interest rate is a fixed rate and is published by July 1st of each year by Federal Student Aid

Federal Work-Study Program

The work-study program allows eligible students to work on campus to earn money. An offer of work-study is not a guarantee that a student will be hired to a position. Work-study jobs are posted on Handshake, where the student must search, apply, and be hired to a position. Funds are paid directly to the student via direct deposit as hours are worked throughout the academic year. 

Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP) Grant

Graduate students of a disadvantaged or under-represented ethnic minority group or an economically disadvantaged student may apply for this grant to assist with payment of college costs. Students must be admitted to a degree program, both Wisconsin Residents and Non-Residents are eligible for the program. Full-Time and Part-Time students are eligible to fill out the application. Students who are enrolled in online graduate programs are eligible. To be considered, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filed and an AOP Grant application which can be obtained at

Veterans Benefits

Graduate students who are eligible for educational entitlement from the Veterans Administration or from the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs should contact the school certifying official (SCO) in 322 Royce Hall, 608.342.7576.

Graduate Assistantship

State-supported graduate assistantships are available in graduate programs offered on campus. Graduate assistantships are intended to provide financial assistance to students, professional growth for students, and professional assistance to the university. A full graduate assistantship requires a student to provide 20 hours of professional responsibilities per week while he or she is enrolled in a minimum of six semester hours of course work. Full-time or part-time assistantships are available. Selection will be based primarily upon overall undergraduate scholastic achievement and potential for future professional growth.

Only students who have been admitted to a graduate program and are carrying six credits or more are eligible for assistantships. Students enrolled as “special” are ineligible.

Please note that final appointment to a graduate assistantship is contingent on a criminal history background check and budget availabiltiy. We need consent to conduct a criminal history background check.  At the time of offering a graduate assistantship, the student will be requested to complete and return a consent form. A form will be provided at that time. Failure to return the consent form by the date indicated will result in the assistantship being offered to another individual. A completed application for graduate assistantship must be received in our office by April 1 of the academic year being applied for—example: fall 2023 and spring 2024 comprise the academic year of 2023–24.