Students who earned a bachelor’s degree outside the United States must request their academic records (called transcripts in the U.S.) be sent directly to the Center for Distance Learning from the issuing institution, along with a translated copy if they are not in English. Any records received become a part of the student’s permanent student record at UW-Platteville and cannot be released. International transcripts are subject to a course- by-course evaluation. UW-Platteville has approved Educational Credential Evaluators Inc. (ECE) or World Education Services (WES) to complete this evaluation. Both require ofﬁcial transcripts/academic records to complete the evaluation.
Students who attended a university outside the United States, must follow these procedures:
- Request ofﬁcial transcript(s) from the institution(s) where they earned their degree(s), including an ofﬁcial translated copy if the transcript is not in English.1
- Go to the ECE or WES website to request the “Course by Course” report option.
- Pay all fees associated with setting up an account.
- Provide an ofﬁcial translated copy of the ofﬁcial transcript. (Neither UW-Platteville, WES, nor ECE provide translation services.)
All ofﬁcial transcripts must be sent directly from the institution(s) where the course work was completed. We cannot accept or evaluate unofﬁcial transcripts.
International applicants are required to submit evidence of English proﬁciency by successfully completing one of the following areas:
- An Ofﬁcial TOEFL Score: A minimum score of 550 PBT (paper-based) or 80 iBT (internet-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language Examination is required of all international students whose native language is not English. When requesting that scores be sent directly to UW- Platteville, please use institution code 1917.
- An Ofﬁcial IELTS Score: A minimum score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each subscore on the International English Language Testing System.
- International Transfer Students: Students transferring from United States colleges and universities may be excused from the TOEFL or IELTS requirement if they have demonstrated competence in English through courses taken at such institutions and have earned grades of "B" or higher in English composition courses and speech or two English composition courses, or
- For students in ESL programs:
- Program in ESL at UW-Madison Students: When students who enroll in the Program in English as a Second Language at UW-Madison in Madison, Wisconsin, complete their coursework, the ESL Program Coordinator will provide the School of Graduate Studies with a letter of recommendation of English language proﬁciency, a copy of the current I-20 and a completed Transfer Clearance Form.
- WESLI Students: When students who enroll at Wisconsin English as a Second Language Institute in Madison, Wisconsin, complete their coursework, WESLI will provide the School of Graduate Studies with a letter of recommendation of English language proﬁciency, a copy of the current I-20 and a completed Transfer Clearance Form. Students exit WESLI upon completion of the 700-level coursework and/or at least a 75 on the Michigan test.
- MESLS Students: When students who enroll at Madison English as a Second Language School in Madison, Wisconsin, complete their coursework, MESLS will provide UW-Platteville with a letter of recommendation of English language proﬁciency, a copy of the current I-20 and a completed Transfer Clearance Form. Students exit MESLS upon completion of the 302 Advanced level coursework and/or at least a 75 on the Michigan test.
International students may request a waiver of the English proﬁciency by submitting acceptable justiﬁcation. The waiver request should include the student’s name, daytime phone number, and desired program of study. Send requests directly to:
Laura Schieltz Admissions Specialist
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
1 University Plaza
Platteville, WI 53818-3099 USA
For international students who plan to study in a program offered on campus, students will need to submit additional documentation for immigration purposes. These items are not required at the time of admission but will be required to have an I-20 issued or immigration documents transferred. This may include but is not limited to:
- I-20 form (for issuance of visa)
- Copy of passport
- UW-Platteville Financial Verification Form
- Original bank statement (USD)
- UW-Platteville International Student Transfer Clearance Form