Upon graduation, accounting majors typically pursue professional certifications. In addition to the CPA and CMA certifications, accountants also may become Certified Internal Auditors. All professional certifications require individuals to pass a national examination and complete several years of professional practice.
Most states require that individuals who wish to obtain the CPA license must complete 150 hours of college credit. Some of those states require the 150 hours be completed prior to sitting for the CPA examination.
UW-Platteville graduates majoring in accounting have several attractive options for meeting the 150-credit-hour requirement.
- Earning a business administration major with an emphasis in an area complementary to accounting, such as finance, supply chain, or management before graduation.
- Participating in the BS to MS plan wherein a student may complete up to 6 credits of graduate work as an undergraduate.
- Completing a Master of Science degree in one of three online master’s programs offered by the School after graduation on a part- or full-time basis.
- Working one-on-one with an accounting faculty member to devise a plan specifically tailored to a particular student’s interests.
|General Education (in addition to those required in major)||26-39|
|Required Core Courses|
|ACCTING 2010||Financial Accounting||3|
|ACCTING 2020||Management Accounting||3|
|BUSADMIN 1300||Global Business||3|
|BUSADMIN 1810||Microsoft Excel for Business||1|
|or COMPUTER 1830||Microcomputer Applications|
|BUSADMIN 2100||Supply Chain Management||3|
|BUSADMIN 2330||Leadership and Management||3|
|BUSADMIN 2340||Business Analytics||3|
|or MATH 1830||Elementary Statistics|
|BUSADMIN 2630||Introduction to Marketing||3|
|BUSADMIN 3030||Human Resource Management||3|
|BUSADMIN 3130||The Legal Environment of Business||3|
|BUSADMIN 3140||Managerial Law||3|
|BUSADMIN 3620||Corporate Finance||3|
|BUSADMIN 4840||Strategic Management||3|
|ECONOMIC 2130||Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|ECONOMIC 2230||Principles of Microeconomics||3|
|BUSADMIN 3010||Business Communication||3|
|or ENGLISH 3000||Technical Writing|
|MATH 2630||Business Calculus||3|
|SPEECH 1010||Oral Communication for Professionals||2|
|Required Accounting Courses|
|ACCTING 3010||Intermediate Accounting I||3|
|ACCTING 3020||Intermediate Accounting II||3|
|ACCTING 3030||Accounting Information Systems||3|
|ACCTING 3040||Federal Income Tax||3|
|ACCTING 3050||Advanced Accounting I||3|
|ACCTING 3230||Cost Accounting||3|
|ACCTING 4040||Advanced Taxation||3|
|ACCTING 4230||Auditing I||3|
|Select 6 credits of the following:||6|
|Governmental and Not-for-Profit Accounting|
|Financial Statement Analysis & Business Valuation|
|Budgets and Budgetary Control|
|Advanced Cost Accounting|
Additional Requirements for the Accounting Degree
- Students must earn an overall G.P.A. of 2.50 in required courses for the major.
- Satisfactory completion of an approved accounting or business internship is required.
- At least 21 credits must be taken under the direction of UW-Platteville faculty.