Student Grievances and Discipline

In any community, including that of scholars and professors, differences of opinion and misunderstandings arise, and provisions must be made for resolution of grievances.

Concerning any decision, there is, with few exceptions, a higher authority to whom appeal may be made should the individual feel that the decision is unjust. The route to follow in seeking redress of a grievance will depend upon the type of grievance and the area of the university concerned. This section will discuss a few of those authorities.


To appeal your admission decision, contact the Center for Distance Learning. 

Academic Appeals Committee

Students with reinstatement difficulties may appeal in writing to the University of Wisconsin-Platteville Appeals Committee. If the written appeal is denied, personal appeals may be made by appointment through the Center for Distance Learning. Please note: if a student has been dismissed more than once, the student may be required to appeal in person or video conferencing.

Academic Concerns Related to Course Grades

  1. Address the concern(s) with the course instructor.
  2. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the meeting, or if you would be uncomfortable confronting the instructor, take the concern to the chair of the appropriate academic department. If the instructor is the department chairperson, the conference should be with the instructor and college dean.
  3. If a resolution is not achieved there, you may appeal, in writing, to the Admission and Academic Appeals Committee (AAAC). The committee will hear both sides of the issue, examine the records, and advise the provost and all parties concerned as to a recommended solution. Your appeal must be received no later than six months after completing the course.
  4. Grievances about course grades that are appealed to the AAAC must address specific complaints related to grading, not concerns regarding conduct of classes or other course matters. In order for the AAAC to hear a formal grade appeal, a student must have a specific example of a major paper, project, lab, or exam that was graded or recorded incorrectly that has significantly affected the student’s grade.

Student Discipline

The Dean of Students handles matters involving students’ rights and responsibilities. The responsibility regarding discipline is two-fold: assuring that students are treated fairly, and seeing that students meet university policies and regulations. The assistant chancellor is guided in this responsibility by Chapters 17 and 18 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code and by those regulations specific to UW-Platteville. For details, see

The university may discipline a student for academic dishonesty, including any of the following or similar examples of false representation of a student’s performance: cheating on an examination; collaborating with others on work to be presented unless specifically allowed by the instructor; plagiarizing, including submitting the work of others as one’s own (whether purchased, borrowed or otherwise obtained); stealing examinations; falsifying records or data; submitting work previously presented in another course, unless specifically allowed by the instructor; or participating in an arrangement whereby work, classroom activity or an examination is done by another person.

Discipline Committee and Appeal Tribunal

Instances of student misconduct may be adjudicated through the Dean of Students or through the Student Faculty Discipline Committee described in the Student Handbook. In addition, students may appeal decisions rendered by the Student Faculty Discipline Committee to an appeal tribunal. The appeal tribunal recommends to the chancellor its decision on the appeal.