Services for Students with Disabilities
Location: 0200 Ullsvik Hall
Phone: 608.342.1818 (Voice and TTY)
Services for Students with Disabilities works to ensure that no qualified student, solely by reason of disability, is denied access to, participation in, or the benefits of, any academic program or activity offered by the university.
The office provides:
- Information about university services to potential and present UW-Platteville students with disabilities
- Assistance in obtaining reasonable academic accommodations and/or auxiliary aids
- Assistance in obtaining access to academic services, programs, activities, and facilities
- Referral to appropriate sources for non-academic accommodations
- Advocacy for campus and community needs
- Technical assistance to university departments, assisting in identifying accommodations and providing services and responses on a case-by-case basis
To arrange academic accommodations, students with disabilities must request reasonable accommodations; provide the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities with sufficient, current disability-related documentation from an appropriate licensed professional; and describe the impact of their disability in an academic setting. The SSWD office reviews disability documentation and verifies that the documentation satisfies disability verification guidelines. The student meets with the SSWD staff for an intake to determine reasonable academic accommodations. At the conclusion of the intake process, students receive a VISA (Verified Individualized Services and Accommodations) and information about how to implement each of the recommended academic accommodations. It is then the responsibility of the student to meet with each course instructor to discuss the accommodation recommendations. Students are expected to engage in appropriate and responsible levels of self-advocacy in obtaining and arranging for accommodations or auxiliary aids. There is no cost to students for assistance provided by SSWD. Visit us at https://www.uwplatt.edu/department/services-students-disabilities.