Policies and Procedures

Registration and Course Policies

Criteria for Graduate-Level Course Work

Graduate course work focuses on advanced disciplinary content, usually as an extension of the discipline content presented at the undergraduate level. When graduate work introduces basic concepts, it typically introduces discipline content that is not offered at the undergraduate level and is dependent upon knowledge acquired at the undergraduate level. In addition, introductory graduate course work may be delivered in an accelerated way to develop a knowledge base for an individual who possesses an undergraduate degree in another field or for individuals who seek to broaden their undergraduate preparation.

Graduate course work employs instructional methods that require more self-directed learning on the part of the student. Course work will require extensive use of campus learning resources including the university library, specialized laboratories, and computing facilities. Course work is more specialized and program-specific, which contributes to the student’s career goals and various enhancements leading to certification, licensure and career advancement.

Graduate course work shall be taught only by graduate faculty or by other qualified faculty as determined by the Graduate Council. Course work shall be taught in formats that allow adequate reflection and integration of learning.

Numbering of Courses

Courses numbered 7000–7990 are open only to graduate students. Courses numbered 5000–6990 may be taken by graduate students for graduate credit, provided they have not taken the courses at the undergraduate level.

Because courses numbered 5000–6990 are open to both undergraduate and graduate students, graduate students are expected to do work of higher quality than is expected of undergraduates. In addition, the work is expected to be more detailed and thorough, and include projects not regularly assigned to undergraduates.


The University of Wisconsin-Platteville transcript is a complete academic record of a student’s enrollment at the university. Maintained by the Office of the Registrar, the transcript is a complete history of undergraduate or graduate level courses attempted and grades earned. Courses include those taken at UW-Platteville, transfer coursework evaluated by the university, and advance standing credits. Your semester grade point average and academic standing is shown after each term. The transcript also includes any earned degrees including the majors and minors completed.

Current students can view their unofficial transcripts in the Pioneer Administrative Software System (PASS). Students who are no longer enrolled may only request official copies of their transcripts.

As of February 1, 2014 UW-Platteville retained Credentials Inc. to accept transcript requests over the internet. Both your Date of Birth and Student ID number or Social Security number are required within the request in order to locate your transcript information. Note: Undergraduate and Graduate Transcripts are separate records and must be requested on separate orders.

Only students may request their transcripts, except as prescribed in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Further information, including a transcript request form, may be found on the Registrar website at https://campus.uwplatt.edu/registrar/transcripts.

During the 2018-19 academic year when the Baraboo Sauk County and Richland campuses were being integrated with UW-Platteville, the official record continued to be a part of the former University of Wisconsin-Colleges transcript.  Information regarding these transcripts and how to order is also found on the UW-Platteville transcript website.

Student Discipline and Academic Misconduct

The dean of students handles matters involving students’ rights and responsibilities. The dean of students responsibilities regarding discipline are two-fold: to ensure that students are treated fairly, and to see that students meet university policies and regulations. The dean of students is guided in this effort by Chapters 14, 17, and 18 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code and by those regulations specific to the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. Details regarding student disciplinary procedures and the conduct expectations in chapters 14, 17, and 18 is located at https://campus.uwplatt.edu/dean-students/student-conduct.

The university may discipline a student for academic dishonesty, including any of the following or similar examples of false representation of a student’s performance:

  • Cheating on an examination.
  • Collaborating with others in work to be presented, contrary to the stated rules of the course.
  • Submitting a paper or assignment that contains ideas or research of others without appropriately identifying the sources of those ideas; stealing examinations or course materials.
  • Submitting a paper or assignment as one’s own work when a part or all of the paper or assignment is the work of another.
  • Stealing examinations or course materials
  • Submitting, if contrary to the rules of a course, work previously presented in another course.
  • Tampering with the laboratory experiment or computer program of another student.
  • Knowingly and intentionally assisting another student in any of the above, including assistance in an arrangement whereby any work, classroom performance, examination or other activity is submitted or performed by a person other than the student under whose name the work is submitted or performed.

For complete details, review https://campus.uwplatt.edu/dean-students/student-conduct.


The following items need attention before graduation.

The Last Semester

Students must be enrolled in the term in which they graduate at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville or they may be enrolled at another institution completing transfer work. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the School of Graduate Studies of his or her intent to graduate by completing and submitting a “File for Master’s” form with the School of Graduate Studies by the end of the 10th day of classes. The “File for Master’s” form is available online at https://www.uwplatt.edu/graduate-studies/graduation

Graduate Paper

The completed thesis or seminar paper should be electronically deposited with the School of Graduate Studies.

Degree Assessment Fee

Before the end of the term in which the degree is to be granted, the student must pay the graduation fee as well as all outstanding debts to the university.


Students who complete the requirements for master’s degrees are invited to be present at the next spring or fall commencement program. Degrees are not conferred until after graduation when grades are posted and final graduation check has been performed.

Withdrawal from the University

Withdrawal from the university refers to a complete withdrawal from the university, including withdrawal from all classes for the term. This procedure is not to be confused with dropping a single course or several courses (see the explanation for dropping courses).

Students may withdraw from the university through the published deadline (the eighth week of a fall or spring semester). A late withdrawal from the university may be requested through the last day of classes but prior to final exams.

Students considering withdrawal from the university are encouraged to consult with a staff member at Counseling Services. To be official, any withdrawal from the university must be cleared with the School of Graduate Studies office, Counseling Services, the student’s academic advisor, Residence Life office, Financial Aid office, Karrmann Library and Cashier’s office. All fees and assessments must be paid on all books returned to the library before an official clearance to withdraw can be given. Specific directions concerning complete withdrawal from the university may be obtained by contacting the School of Graduate Studies office.

If a student is prevented from a timely withdrawal from the university because of accident, injury, major physical or mental health problems, military duty, or other extraordinary circumstances, an extraordinary withdrawal from the university may be permitted. Please consult with the School of Graduate Studies regarding procedures and be prepared to provide documentation to justify the request.

Retention, Probation, and Dismissal

An overall 3.00 graduate grade point average is required to maintain full standing. If the overall grade point average drops below 3.00, the student is placed on probation. If after an additional 12 graduate credits, the student’s grade point average remains below 3.00, the student will be dismissed.

Students who are dismissed may be given the option of enrolling as a Special Student to enable continuation of coursework, if approved by the program coordinator.  Once a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is attained, the dismissed student becomes eligible to apply for readmission to the previously admitted program.  Students will be reevaluated for admission, if a student is granted readmission, a maximum of 12 total credits earned during Special Student state (regardless of when earned during their academic career) may be accepted.  Additionally, all credits earned prior to dismissal in the given program may be accepted: however, the final three credits (or capstone/seminar/thesis) of the degree program may NOT be attempted until the student has been granted admission back into his or her program.

Applying Credits Earned in One Graduate Program Toward Another Graduate Degree

Credits from other University of Wisconsin-Platteville graduate degree programs may be applied to a second graduate degree at UW-Platteville upon the recommendation of the program faculty, up to a maximum of 12 credits. The total of credits from other University of Wisconsin-Platteville degree programs and credits transferred from other institutions cannot exceed twelve credits.