Class Attendance

Class attendance is taken very seriously at UW-Platteville, for education is much more than a matter of tests, readings, examinations and papers. Through lectures and discussions, the subject of a particular course is investigated in depth and explored in its many ramifications; through interaction in the classroom (and outside of it) the many aspects of a given course come together and are synthesized into a coherent whole. Such an educational experience demands reciprocal commitments from faculty to students and from students to faculty.

The administration and faculty assume students will attend classes regularly, and teachers are expected to keep records of attendance in their classes. Those instructors who set limits on unexcused absences will inform students of their absence policies in writing and orally at the beginning of the semester. Students are responsible for all work missed through unexcused absence. Instructors are not obligated to seek out or counsel students concerning absenteeism or to allow such students any special consideration.

When students wish to participate in field trips or other extracurricular or cocurricular activities, prior approval must be obtained from the instructors of classes that will be missed. Students should contact the instructors when they return to classes, and of course, they are expected to make up any missed work.

A student who is absent from class should notify instructors as soon as possible (either by phone, e-mail or in person). Notifying instructors and arranging make-up work is the responsibility of the student. If contact with instructors cannot be made directly, the student should call the academic department involved. This information is available in the Campus online phonebook. If an absence is medical related and requires treatment from Student Health Services, they may be reached at 608.342.1891.

In serious situations where the student is incapacitated and temporarily unable to contact instructors, family members may contact the Office of Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs at 608.342.1854 for assistance with these matters. The Office of Student Affairs would then provide notification (not verification) of the absence to the instructors involved. However, arrangements for make-up work, make-up exams, etc., are the responsibility of the student.

Note: Neither Student Health Services nor the Office of Student Affairs provides excuses for absences from class.

If students have questions or need consultation regarding specific situations, they are encouraged to contact their instructor or the academic department involved.


The grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of credits attempted at UW-Platteville.

Grade points for a class are calculated by multiplying the points associated with the letter grade earned and the class credits. All credits are recorded as semester hours.

Grade Definition Grade Points
PPassEquivalent to "D" or higher


Sometimes it is appropriate, because of student illness or other unusual circumstances, to give a grade of incomplete. A student who begins a term on final probation may not receive a grade of incomplete in a course during that term without consent of the Dean of the college in which the course was taken. Any incomplete grade submitted which has not been approved will be recorded as an “F.”

After a student receives an incomplete, it is the student’s responsibility to complete all work and assignments necessary to complete the class requirements requirements within the time period allowed by the instructor (up to 26 weeks after the end of the term in which the incomplete is recorded). Unless a grade of incomplete is changed, or the Registrar is notified by the instructor of an extension up to six additional months, before the end of the standard six month time limit, the incomplete will be changed to an “F.”


When students repeat courses, the second attempt will replace the first grade in the grade point average. The most recent grade is used regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the previous grade. If the repeat results in the grade of “F” and the student had previously earned a grade higher than “F,” the “F” replaces the grade in the calculation of the grade point average, and the student loses the credits since no credits are granted when a grade of “F” is earned. Grades earned in three or more attempts of a course do not replace prior grades but are included in the grade point average. A course that has a number change needs a repeat card submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Co-ops, internships and independent study courses need a repeat card. Courses coded as repeatable in the online catalog also need a repeat card filed with the Registrar’s Office.

Failing grades and deficiencies in grade point averages may be replaced only by taking work in residence at UW-Platteville. Grades earned in transfer coursework are not included in the UW-Platteville G.P.A.

Academic Misconduct Grade

In a first instance of academic misconduct as defined in Chapter 14 of the UWS “Policies Governing Student Life,” where the resulting course grade is an “F” or other grade, that grade will forever be calculated within the student’s semester and cumulative grade point averages and cannot be removed from that calculation. In other words, the “F” or other grade resulting from academic misconduct is a permanent grade on the transcript. However, in a first and only instance of an “F” or other grade being issued in a course due to academic misconduct, no special designation will be made on the transcript to indicate academic misconduct. A letter, as required by UWS Chapter 14, to inform the student and appropriate personnel of this disciplinary action, will be sent by the faculty member to the Registrar, the student’s academic advisor, the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, the Vice Chancellor, the Dean of the College, and the Department Chair. The letter to the student may be delivered in person or by regular, first class service by the U.S. Postal Service to the address listed with the University by the student. The student then has the right to appeal the grade, as per UWS Chapter 14; no misconduct grade will become permanent until a student’s appeal has been adjudicated, or the deadline to file an appeal has passed without an appeal being filed.

For a second and any subsequent instance of a student committing academic misconduct resulting in a grade of “F” for the course or other grade, the resulting grade shall also be permanent and included in grade point average calculations and shall be designated by a “-M” following the grade to indicate the grade resulted from academic misconduct. Also, following a second instance of academic misconduct resulting in a grade of “F” or other grade, the student’s first course that had a grade recorded by an “F” or other grade for academic misconduct, shall be updated to add the “-M” following that course grade. The Registrar is responsible for the updating of transcripts in accordance with this policy.

The faculty member shall follow the same procedures for notifying the student and appropriate university personnel as described for an initial instance of academic misconduct. The procedures of UWS Chapter 17 shall apply to this policy and a specific case of academic misconduct may be assigned to the Office of the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs as specified in UWS Chapter 14.

Scholastic Honors

Scholastic honors are the recognition given by the university to students who have achieved high grade point averages. Recognition for scholastic honors may be given at various times during a student’s academic program by inclusion on the Chancellor’s and Dean’s Honor Rolls.

To qualify for Chancellor’s or Dean’s Honors, students must complete at least 12 credits during the semester and meet the following grade point average requirements:

Chancellor's Honors4.00
Dean's Honors, by college:
Business, Industry, Life Science and Agriculture
Engineering, Mathematics and Science
Liberal Arts and Education

At commencement, students who have earned 48 or more credits at UW-Platteville and have earned high cumulative grade point averages during their undergraduate years, graduate in two categories: honors (3.50-3.74), and high honors (3.75-4.00) with the designations of magna cum laude (honors) and summa cum laude (high honors).

Declaring/Changing Majors

Declaring a Major

Students may declare an intended major immediately upon entering the university, or remain undecided. In either case, they will be assigned an advisor. When students choose a major, they should report to the Registrar’s Office to receive instructions and complete a change of major form (on which they change from undecided to a specific major). They will then be assigned a new advisor in their declared field of study.

Changing Majors

Students wishing to change majors and/or colleges should contact the Registrar’s Office for complete instructions and a change of major form. Upon changing majors, students will be assigned a new academic advisor and encouraged to request a major check sheet showing the new requirements they must fulfill. Students who change majors and wish to have their record adjusted under academic clemency guidelines should read the following section.


Students who change majors from one department or school to another, or students who have stopped out for at least 6 consecutive regular semesters at UW Platteville may be granted the option to adjust their prior academic records.

Students with a cumulative grade point average higher than 2.30 are not eligible to request academic clemency.  If a student has more than one major, the student must drop/change at least one of the majors in order to request academic clemency.

1.     A) If a student has a grade point average of 2.00 to 2.30 and has earned 30 credits or more, credits in courses in which a grade of “D” or higher were earned will be counted toward graduation but not necessarily toward a major or minor.
        B) If a student has a cumulative GPA less than 2.00 and has earned 30 credits or more, that student may request academic clemency, but the credits in which a “D” was earned will not count toward graduation.

2. All previous work shall remain on the official record, but the grades will not be used to calculate the cumulative grade point average. The grade point average will be calculated on the basis of grades earned after declaration of academic clemency.

3. Academic clemency is not an option for students who have already earned an associate’s or baccalaureate degree at UW-Platteville.

4. In order to graduate after electing this option, a student must complete at least 32 credits and earn a 2.00 grade point average.

5. Students who are granted academic clemency are not eligible for academic honors at the time of commencement.

6. Students who are granted academic clemency must then follow the undergraduate catalog and educational requirements in place at the time of the declaration (i.e. the student must follow the most recent catalog).

7. If a student had been officially undecided on a major at the time of the academic clemency request, they must then declare a major and follow the educational requirements of the major at the time of the declaration. A student requesting clemency from one engineering major may NOT declare a different engineering major as the new major.

8.   Academic clemency will be rescinded if the student earns less than a 2.30 GPA in the first semester (or first12 credits if not full-time) following the request for clemency.

9.   Academic clemency is only allowed once in a student’s academic career.

Note:  Students who wish to file academic clemency must do so within one semester of the change of major or re-entry to UW-Platteville. Students who request academic clemency are not eligible to pursue their previous major without express permission from the dean of that college, and the student’s cumulative grade point average will be recalculated.  Graduate programs and other universities may disregard a declaration of academic clemency in determining your eligibility for admission purposes.

If you are receiving GI Bill benefits, consult the university Veteran’s Administration representative before electing the option of academic clemency. If you take this option, you may have to repay the VA for past benefits you have received.

If academic clemency is approved, the Registrar will mark the permanent academic record with an “Academic Clemency, new GPA calculated henceforth” notation and begin the computation of a new grade point average for all subsequent course work.

Students should contact the Registrar’s Office for specific instructions regarding academic clemency.

Double Majors

The student will normally meet graduation requirements for a degree in one of the major curricula. It is permissible for a student to be granted a bachelor’s degree with two majors if the complete requirements of both major curricula are satisfied at the same time.

No more than one diploma or degree will be granted to the same student at one commencement. In the event that a student has completed the requirements for two different degrees, such as a B.A. and a B.S., the student will be required to choose which degree is to be recognized during the commencement ceremony. Both degrees will be posted to student transcripts upon completion. A graduation fee will be assessed for each diploma/degree.


The University of Wisconsin-Platteville transcript is a complete academic record of a student’s enrollment at the university. Maintained by the Office of the Registrar, the transcript is a complete history of undergraduate or graduate level courses attempted and grades earned. Courses include those taken at UW-Platteville, transfer coursework evaluated by the university, and advance standing credits. Your semester grade point average and academic standing is shown after each term. The transcript also includes any earned degrees including the majors and minors completed.

Current students can view their unofficial transcripts in the Pioneer Administrative Software System (PASS). Students who are no longer enrolled may only request official copies of their transcripts.

As of February 1, 2014 UW-Platteville retained Credentials Inc. to accept transcript requests over the internet. Both your Date of Birth and Student ID number or Social Security number are required within the request in order to locate your transcript information. Note: Undergraduate and Graduate Transcripts are separate records and must be requested on separate orders.

Only students may request their transcripts, except as prescribed in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Further information, including a transcript request form, may be found on the Registrar website at

Simultaneous Enrollment at Another Institution

Generally, off-campus courses offered by other accredited colleges and universities will be accepted by UW-Platteville provided a grade of “C” or higher is earned and they are approved by the department housing the major. UW-Platteville does not offer correspondence courses, but UW-Extension does. Permission must be obtained from the registrar prior to registering for correspondence work.

Students enrolling in off-campus or correspondence courses are responsible for making certain such courses meet the requirements of the curriculum in which they are enrolled. In case of doubt, students should contact the registrar, academic advisor or the chairperson of the department in which they intend to major.

UW-Platteville is not able to provide enrollment verification to third parties (e.g., lending institutions) for coursework taken at another institution.

Academic Standing

Students whose academic records do not meet the minimum achievement standards of the university are placed on academic probation or suspension.

Academic Standings

For students enrolled in seven or more credits in any semester, the minimum acceptable standards for retention are as follows:

Good Standing

Cumulative g.p.a. 2.00 or higher

At Risk

Freshmen (0-29 credits) with cumulative g.p.a. of 1.80 to 1.99; cannot be “at risk” more than two semesters


Cumulative g.p.a. less than 2.00 and

  1. previous term was good standing; or
  2. freshmen who have been “at risk” for two semesters

Final Probation

Cumulative g.p.a. less than 2.00 and

  1. previous term was probation; or
  2. previous term was final probation and term g.p.a. is greater than 2.00; may continue on final probation twice


Any semester with a term g.p.a. less than 1.00 or previous term was final probation and criteria to continue on final probation are not met

For students enrolled in six credits or less in any semester:

Part-time students enrolled for six credits or less in the given semester who previously have been in good standing (no probations) with the university who are enrolled in a total of six or fewer credits at the beginning of a semester and who obtain a semester G.P.A. of less than 1.0 will not be dismissed from the university, but will be placed on academic probation.

Part-time students enrolled for six credits or less in the given semester and who have earned at least 12 cumulative credits with UW-Platteville and who have a cumulative G.P.A. below 2.0 will be placed on university probation.

The student can be removed from probation by raising their cumulative G.P.A. to 2.0 (or above) within the next 12 credits of their enrollment. If after the additional 12 credits the cumulative G.P.A. is still below 2.0, the student is dismissed from the university.

The Veterans Administration requires that students receiving educational entitlement from the VA must be reported to the VA if they continue in school for a second probationary semester. Educational entitlement may be terminated by the VA until such students have been counseled by VA personnel.

Suspension for One Semester

Students are suspended (dismissed) from the university for one semester under the following conditions.

  1. Any student earning a semester grade point average less than 1.00 regardless of the cumulative grade point average; or
  2. Any student on final probation whose cumulative grade point average is less than 2.00 and a) has a semester grade point average less than 2.00 or b) has already continued on final probation two times; or
  3. Any student who has not satisfied remedial course requirements after earning 60 credits.

Suspension for Two Years

Students who have been suspended (dismissed), readmitted or reinstated, and again fail to earn the required grade point average, are not eligible to apply for readmission until a period of two years has elapsed. Students who have three or more suspensions from the university must appeal their reinstatement/readmission to the Admission and Academic Appeals Committee after another period of two years has elapsed.

The Veterans Administration

The Veterans Administration requires that students receiving educational entitlement from the VA must be reported to the VA if they continue in school for a second probationary semester. Educational entitlement may be terminated by the VA until such students have been counseled by VA personnel.

Reinstatement to Good Standing

Students achieving cumulative grade point averages of 2.00 or higher are reinstated to good standing. Students are, of course, expected to make diligent progress in the pursuit of a degree. The standards outlined in the Financial Aid section of this bulletin are the stipulated guidelines for satisfactory academic progress for UW-Platteville students.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records;
  2. the right to request the amendment of the student’s education records;
  3. the right to provide written consent before the university discloses personally identifiable information from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent; and
  4. the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901

UW-Platteville school officials with a legitimate educational need to know may access a student’s education records without consent. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the university. A school official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research or support staff position.

Examples of situations where education records may be disclosed without the student’s written consent include, but are not limited to:

  1. Requests for “directory information” and the student has not restricted its release
  2. Requests in accordance with a lawful subpoena or court order
  3. Requests from representatives of agencies or organizations from which the student has received financial assistance
  4. Requests from officials of other educational institutions in which the student intends to enroll
  5. Requests from other persons specifically exempted from the prior consent requirement by the act (e.g., certain federal and state officials, organizations conducting studies on behalf of the university, accrediting organizations)
  6. Requests in connection with a health or safety emergency as determined by the university

Directory information may be released to any inquirer unless students choose to exercise their right to withhold information. The university publishes an online student directory which includes students’ names, local addresses and telephone numbers, home addresses and telephone numbers, and university assigned e-mail addresses. The online University Phonebook includes student’s names, addresses, telephone numbers and majors. For questions about withholding directory information, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 608.342.1321.

Further information regarding FERPA, including a current list of what information the university has designated as directory information, may be found online at

Student Grievances and Discipline

In any community, including that of scholars and professors, differences of opinion and misunderstandings arise, and provisions must be made for resolution of grievances.

Concerning any decision, there is, with few exceptions, a higher authority to whom appeal may be made should the individual feel that the decision is unjust. The route to follow in seeking redress of a grievance will depend upon the type of grievance and the area of the university concerned. This section will discuss a few of those authorities.

Admission and Academic Appeals Committee

Students with admission, readmission or reinstatement difficulties may appeal in writing to the Admission and Academic Appeals Committee. If the written appeal is denied, personal appeals may be made by appointment through the Registrar’s Office. Please note: if a student has been dismissed more than once, the student will only be allowed to appeal in person. No written appeal is allowed. The committee will study the case and advise the director of Admission and Enrollment Services, registrar or provost as to the proper solutions.

Students with grievances about grades may appeal, in writing, to the Admission and Academic Appeals Committee after first having tried to resolve the issue by conferences with the instructor and department chairperson. If the instructor is the department chairperson, the conference should be with the instructor and college dean. The committee will hear both sides of the issue, examine the records and advise the provost and all parties concerned as to a recommended disposition.

Student Discipline

The assistant chancellor for student affairs (as delegated to the dean of students) handles matters involving students’ rights and responsibilities. The assistant chancellor’s responsibility regarding discipline is two-fold: assuring that students are treated fairly, and seeing that students meet university policies and regulations. The assistant chancellor is guided in this responsibility by Chapters 17 and 18 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code and by those regulations specific to UW-Platteville. For details, see Policies Governing Student Life by going to, clicking on campus resources A-Z, selecting letter “P” and then selecting Policies Governing Student Life.

The university may discipline a student for academic dishonesty, including any of the following or similar examples of false representation of a student’s performance: cheating on an examination; collaborating with others on work to be presented unless specifically allowed by the instructor; plagiarizing, including submitting the work of others as one’s own (whether purchased, borrowed or otherwise obtained); stealing examinations; falsifying records or data; submitting work previously presented in another course, unless specifically allowed by the instructor; or participating in an arrangement whereby work, classroom activity or an examination is done by another person.

Discipline Committee and Appeal Tribunal

Instances of student misconduct may be adjudicated through the Office of the Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs (as delegated to the dean of students) or through the Student Faculty Discipline Committee described in the Student Handbook. In addition, students may appeal decisions rendered by the Student Faculty Discipline Committee to an appeal tribunal. The appeal tribunal recommends to the chancellor its decision on the appeal.

Withdrawal from the University

Withdrawal from the university refers to a complete withdrawal from the university, including withdrawal from all classes for the term. This procedure is not to be confused with dropping a single course or several courses (see the explanation for dropping courses).

Students may withdraw from the university through the published deadline (the eighth week of a fall or spring semester). A late withdrawal from the university may be requested through the last day of classes but prior to final exams.

A late withdrawal from the university is permitted once during the student’s academic career. Any subsequent requests for a complete withdrawal from the university made after the published deadlines or a student requesting a late withdrawal from the university within one year of being reinstated or readmitted through the Admission and Academic Appeals Committee must obtain approval for the late withdrawal from a special faculty committee. Students considering withdrawal from the university are encouraged to consult with a staff member at Counseling Services.

To be official, any withdrawal from the university must be cleared with the Registrar’s Office, Counseling Services, the student’s academic advisor, Student Housing Office, Financial Aid Office, Karrmann Library, Textbook Center and Cashier’s Office. All fees and assessments must be paid on all books returned to the library before an official clearance to withdraw can be given. Specific directions concerning complete withdrawal from the university may be obtained by contacting the Registrar’s Office.

If a student is prevented from a timely withdrawal from the university because of accident, injury, major physical or mental health problems, military duty or other extraordinary circumstances, an extraordinary withdrawal from the university may be permitted. Please consult with the university registrar regarding procedures and be prepared to provide documentation to justify the request.