Upon graduation, accounting majors typically pursue professional certifications. In addition to the CPA and CMA certifications, accountants also may become Certified Internal Auditors. All professional certifications require individuals to pass a national examination and complete several years of professional practice.
Most states require that individuals who wish to take the CPA examination must complete 150 hours of college credit.
UW-Platteville graduates majoring in accounting have several attractive options for meeting the 150-credit-hour requirement.
- Earning a business administration major with an emphasis in an area complementary to accounting, such as finance, or management before graduation.
- Completing a Master of Science degree in one of four online master’s programs offered by the department after graduation on a part- or full-time basis.
- Working one-on-one with an accounting faculty member to devise a plan specifically tailored to a particular student’s interests.
|Core Curriculum (in addition to those required in major)||26-39|
|Required Core Courses|
|ACCTING 2010||Financial Accounting||3|
|ACCTING 2020||Management Accounting||3|
|BUSADMIN 1300||Global Business||3|
|BUSADMIN 2100||Supply Chain Management||3|
|BUSADMIN 2330||Leadership and Management||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Interpretation of Business and Economic Data|
|BUSADMIN 2630||Introduction to Marketing||3|
|BUSADMIN 3030||Human Resource Management||3|
|BUSADMIN 3130||The Legal Environment of Business||3|
|BUSADMIN 3140||Managerial Law||3|
|BUSADMIN 3620||Corporate Finance||3|
|BUSADMIN 4840||Business Policy/Strategy||3|
|Select one of the following:||0-3|
|ECONOMIC 2130||Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|ECONOMIC 2230||Principles of Microeconomics||3|
|MEDIA 3010||Business Communication||3|
|or ENGLISH 3000||Technical Writing|
|MATH 2630||Calculus with Applications||3|
|SPEECH 1010||Public Speaking||2|
|Required Accounting Courses|
|ACCTING 3010||Intermediate Accounting I||3|
|ACCTING 3020||Intermediate Accounting II||3|
|ACCTING 3030||Accounting Information Systems||3|
|ACCTING 3040||Federal Income Tax||3|
|ACCTING 3050||Advanced Accounting I||3|
|ACCTING 3230||Cost Accounting||3|
|ACCTING 4040||Advanced Taxation||3|
|ACCTING 4230||Auditing I||3|
|Select 6 credits of the following:||6|
|Financial Statement Analysis & Business Valuation|
|Budgets and Budgetary Control|
|Advanced Cost Accounting|
Additional Requirements for the Accounting Degree
- Students must have G.P.A.s of 2.50 or better in courses required in the major.
- Satisfactory completion of an approved accounting or business internship is required.
- At least 21 credits must be taken under the direction of UW-Platteville faculty.