The following are the minimum requirements for all master’s degrees. Individual programs may have additional or varied requirements:
- All students must complete a minimum of 30 graduate credits.
- At least 21 credits must be earned in courses open only to graduate students (7000 level). These credits must be included in the student’s program planning form.
- No more than 12 credits can be transferred into a master’s degree program.
- Courses in the 5000–6990 levels are open to graduate students for graduate credit, provided they have not previously taken the courses at the undergraduate level.
Writing Requirement Options
Students must satisfy the writing requirement of their degree program as determined by individual programs subject to approval by the Graduate Council. Students may satisfy the writing requirements by completing one of the following:
- Write an approved thesis (3–6 credits)
- Write an approved seminar paper (3 credits)
- Complete a “capstone” experience (3 credits)
Students should consult with individual program coordinators for guidelines for meeting their program’s requirement.