The University has suspended admissions to the Master of Science in Distance Education Leadership (DEL) program as of February 18, 2016. While the DEL courses to earn the eLearning certificate, the Leadership of Teaching and Learning certificate, and the Online Program Administration certificate may still be offered, the ability to complete each certificate is not guaranteed as the availability of these courses is subject to change.
Julie Hewitt, Program Coordinator
Master of Science in Distance Education Leadership
Address: University of Wisconsin-Platteville
1 University Plaza
Platteville, WI 53818-3099
Statement of Purpose
The Master of Science in Distance Education Leadership program prepares graduates to assume mid-level and senior responsibilities for planning, directing, implementing, evaluating, researching, and managing distance education programs. Courses in the program prepare graduates to move from the front line in distance education to more advanced supervisory positions. While its focus is higher education, professionals in K–12 distance education, corporate, and military environments will also benefit from the Master of Science in Distance Education Leadership. Students will be able to choose from electives that focus on course design and management, technology, talent development, research and assessment, project management, finance, critical issues in the field, and more.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the program will
- Develop an understanding and gain ability to manage the scope, breadth, and function of distance education
- Apply advanced knowledge of distance education history, systems, and elements to the development, management and leadership associated with distance education programs.
- Employ qualitative and quantitative research techniques to support evidence based leadership and management practices.
- Demonstrate leadership skills associated with developing, maintaining, evaluating and expanding distance education opportunities.
- Evaluate distance education systems including for example, provision of learner and faculty support, to improve distance education programs and practices.
- Analyze issues, challenges and opportunities associated with distance education systems.
- Create new and innovative solutions to teaching and learning at a distance with technology through informed evidence based leadership practice to shape the future of distance education.
- Experience and evaluate instruction through various forms of distance education delivery methods.
The Master of Science in Distance Education Leadership (MSDEL) is an online program designed to accommodate the needs of working adults who want to pursue a degree while employed. The program is open to anyone who holds a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and has the desire to learn about distance education leadership. It provides professionals with a convenient, practical, and high-quality course of study that allows them to develop the new skills required for managing distance education programs while earning graduate credits toward an advanced degree.
Program and degree completion requirements are consistent with those of the graduate programs of the institution.